Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Monday, January 19, 2009

Magnificent Mind at Any Age

I just started reading the most informative book! Magnificent Mind at Any Age by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

It teaches the secrets of a balanced brain from a physician who has studied BRAIN INJURIES, ADHD, Depression etc. He claims that it's impossible to live a healthy life without a healthy brain.

I decided I'm going to blog about the fascinating facts that I learn.

DID YOU KNOW?
The human brain is NOT firm, fixed, and rubbery, or how it looks once it is fixed in formaldehyde on the pathologist's table.
Your brain is really comprised of 80% water, and is the consistency of soft butter or custard. Neurosurgeon Katrina Firlik describes the brain "like tofu, the soft kind, which when caught in suction during surgery slurps into the tube."

The soft, tofulike brain is housed in a really hard skull that has many ridges. These ridges damage the brain during trauma.

Now I have a mental picture of my poor, injured brain after my car accident. My parents once told me that my brain was so swollen from the damage that there were no more ridges for a while . . . ugh.



Stay tuned for more . . .

No comments: