Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Saturday, July 4, 2009

It was an emotional wallop movie!


My mom and I saw a movie last night (Mom and Dad Mosher are visiting Utah for the holiday, staying in Park City). AND WOW, IT GOT ME THINKING!

The Movie: My Sister's Keeper (with Cameron Diaz)
The Story: Girl sick with Leukemia. Parents genetically engineer another child to be a "perfect match" donor for her.

Ultimately, this child sues her parents for the legal rights of her own body, so she doesn't have to be a donor anymore. Much of the movie is spent in the hospital while the mom (Cameron Diaz) and the doctor are trying to heal her. The story-telling is a bit choppy (back and forth, before and after current time, etc), but it still has some powerful scenes that really got me thinking about my own experience in the hospital.

The lawyer that helps the daughter who sues her parents, we find out later, does it because he has Epilepsy. We watch him have an Epileptic episode outside the courtroom, with a voice over of his client making a poignant realization -- one that I completely relate to! She said (something to the effect of), "That's why he took my case, because he knows what it's like to have something that makes you different." He has Epilepsy, her sister has Cancer.

I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. Similarly, I feel like this is something which makes me different. Anyway, I gotta go meet my parents up in PC now, so if you are reading this and you honestly don't know what I mean when I say that a Traumatic Brain Injury makes me different, then please read my upcoming memoir (because I don't have the energy to explain it all right now).

I'll definitely post on my blog when you can buy it (it will be available only online).

No comments: