Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Sunday, April 19, 2009

My book + editing = nightmare

I don't think I understood entirely what I was getting into when I started this whole memoir writing project.

I write my story. I edit my story. I write. I edit. I write. I edit. It. Never. Ends.

I keep saying that this book is going to be the death of me, because it's never done, never good enough. Finally, I submitted it to the publisher thinking it was complete and good. Needless to say, I found multiple errors in the document (my errors) such as missing commas or inappropriately capitalized words. So I fixed what I could and resubmitted. But you can only fix ten errors at no charge, so I selected the most blatant mistakes (such as misspelled words) and I've embarrassingly left the others. Did I have a professional editor read the manuscript? No, (that costs a ridiculous amount of money and remember this is my personal project - self published on my own meager budget). Yes, I did have multiple friends read it and college writing professors. So it could have been much worse.

The most important aspect of my writing is that I SHOW NOT TELL, so I worried more about style than I did about grammar. Now I wish I would have worried more. As I said before, this book felt like it was going to be the death of me because I've put so much energy and heart into it. I reached a point where I just said, "Enough!!" and "It's done!"

Anyway, writing about my injury has been both daunting and helpful. It's helped me to understand exactly what happened to me, as I have little to no memory of several months after my car accident. It's overwhelming for the very same reason. I sometimes can't believe that I was injured so badly because most of the time I feel so good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting experience-writing and editing! Good luck. I am excited to see the result! You are amazing- I am sure the book is great!

Jennifer said...

How exciting, you're done! Congratulations. Can't wait to see the final product.
-Jennifer Labrum