Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Physical Activity is cognitive candy!

Clinical Neuropsychologist Dr. Antonietta Russo suggested I read a book called Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina. RULE #1: Exercise. Medina calls physical activity "cognitive candy." I'm positive that exercise has had a tremendous effect on my recovery (even now, 13 years post-injury).

EXAMPLE: I have a video of myself talking to a nurse just one month after injury and I can barely speak clearly, my thoughts get lost mid-sentence. It's horribly sad to watch. Even more sad than this is that ten years later, although I was much, much more coherent when speaking, I was still getting lost mid-sentence (although not quite as often). But since I began regular exercise at the gym (a mix of cardio, yoga, weight-lifting) I feel more alert, more cognitively in-tact and HAPPIER (the best part).

No comments: