Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

ophthalmology /oph·thal·mol·o·gy/ (of″thal-mol´ah-je)

So scratch that about the Neuro-Opthalmologist. I gathered some great advice to see a regular Opthalmologist first because my double vision may be from damaged eye muscles.

Today I visited a clinic and gained some very helpful insight into my problem!

First, let me just vent and say that a brain injury in and of itself is incredibly neurologically taxing. Add double vision on top of that and, well, a girl's brain can go crazy! The person who performed my eye exam said, "Wow, you can really control your eye movement well!" It was difficult for him to see my sporadic eye movement at first because I've learned how to compensate. I'll take that as a compliment.

He said when you slam the front of your head, like I did, and your brain bounces back and forth, it damages the back, where all the vision nerves are (that said in total lay-man's terms).

Here's what we discovered: My double vision stems from a damaged nerve, not a muscle! And, geez, I can't believe I've lived with this problem for such.a.long.time, because a simple surgery can fix it! Why didn't I look into this before? Actually, I do remember seeing an Opthal. shortly after my accident, and he said surgery would not help -- granted, that was 16 years ago, and medicine has improved since those days.

I am so excited because this means I've peeled away another layer of my onion!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

This is great news! Suddenly the surgery seems so simple! Whoo hoo for you.

Ressa said...

Jen-
I don't know if you remember me...this is Ressa (Lindsey) Budge. We lived in Minnesota together- had sleep-overs when we were younger. Then when we were older we were at BYU together-just down the hall from each other our freshman year. I was recently traveling down memory lane with my dad and asked what you were up to. He told me about your book and it led me to this. I can't wait to read it! I remember when this all happened to you and me and my now husband visited you. I am amazed at what you have done with your life and have great memories of you and your smile! You always made me laugh! I live in northern Utah...i hope somehow we can get in touch! Love- Ressa

Jennifer Mosher said...

Ressa!!
You can't be seriou - you hope I remember you??? Girl, of course I remember EVERYTHING about you from sleepovers at your house in Bloomington to Thanksgiving at your house in CA (freshman yr in college). I think about you often. We definitely have to hook up soon. Email me (hurry!) at thesmileonmyforehead@gmail.com

We need to connect!!! I'd LOVE LOVE to see you. I saw Jenny a few years ago at Women's Conference and it was great to catch up with her.

I might even have photos of you from college. I wonder how different we both look. EMAIL ME!!
Love,
Jen