Check out www.Jennifermosher.com

Friday, July 31, 2009

Last night at B.I.G...

I'm always amazed by other survivors at the Brain Injury Group (hence the name B.I.G).
This is a support group for Traumatic Brain Injury Survivors. My group meets in Murray, UT and is hands-down the best one in the valley. I love hearing everyone's comments because I always think, "I feel like that too!"
Last night one comment in particular caught my attention. A survivor said, "I'm 5 years post-injury and I don't remember what I was like before (the injury). I mean, I remember, but I don't think about it at all because I am who I am today, and I must go forward with that." Don't take that as an exact quote, but that's the gist of what he said.
It got me thinking. First off, he is 5 years post-injury. I'm almost 15 years! When I was 5 years out (think year 1999!), the effects of my injury were all consuming. I constantly tried to do things that aggravated my brain injury (things like too much info at once, spending time in large crowds, traveling to foreign places, and never-ever getting a full night's sleep). I lived my life as I knew how, and how I knew was from experience - from the way I was pre-TBI. And I'm not that woman. After years (at least 10) of learning how to accept how my injury had changed me, I can finally say that I feel 100% exactly like him.
I don't think about it at all because I am who I am today, and I must go forward with that.
WORDS TO LIVE BY. AMEN!

No comments: